Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Things That Cold Weather Makes me Miss Most

When it is so cold out that your bones literally feel like they are cracking beneath your skin, and just walking to the mailbox produces blue fingernail beds, sometimes, a girl gets to daydreaming, let's face it.   Here are my Top Ten memories of a better time, to remind me that warmth is just around the corner.

#10Those crafty little Ground Hogs at Turtleback Zoo.

Oh how I love to sit and watch these little foul fellas dig in the dirt and smell each other's asses.  I could sit there with the kids and watch them all day.  The ground hogs remind me of leisurely strolls around the zoo with the kids, as well as fun birthday parties and good family time. I believe the two on the right are making out.

 
 
#9  Maine fun.
 
There is nothing as awesome as spending time in Maine with our good friends and swimming in some of the cleanest water in the country.   It isn't exactly warm all the time, in fact some summers have been downright chilly, but we always have a hell of a time and relax and spend quality time together.
 
 
 
#8   Stu making ridiculous faces under water.
 
It isn't summer if Stu is not taking selfies in which he resembles a drowning, bald, Mr. Bean.
 
 
 
#7    My Hydrangeas
 
These flowers are the love of my life, after ice cream and my kids, in that order.   I don't even know when I started loving Hydrangeas, all I know is I will buy a house based on how many Hydrangeas it has in the yard when we purchase it. 
 
 
#6   Ridiculous fun in the sprinkler
 
This summer we had the most bad ass inflatable sprinkler tunnel on the block.   All the kids came over and had a ball throwing themselves through it.   Then it popped, and deflated and they all went home.   The end. 
 
 
#5  Time spent at Lake Lackawanna
 
Though I'd only let the kids swim in this sketchy lake in early June through MAYBE July 4th, we are so lucky to have wonderful neighbors who let us use their lakefront for fun and frolic.  It really is a beautiful lake with a wonderful community.   Despite the fact it smells like a moldy basement July through October.
 
 
 
#6  Kan Jam.
 
Every year we have friends over for a heated, ultra competitive game of throwing yellow Frisbees into black garbage cans with mail-slots.   The first year we had it at our house, we had 5 teams of two.   This past Summer I had 10 teams.   This upcoming summer I am going to have to turn teams away because our yard isn't big enough.   Everyone loves our Kan Jam potuck and I love seeing everyone having so much fun together in the heat!   This year we are aiming to have it on an ice cold weekend, seeing last year we had it on the surface of the Sun.

 
 
 
 
Summer Memories, 5 through #1 will be in a later post.  It's warming up today a bit, and I must get off to the store in preparation for the next snow/wind/ice/cold/polar vortex/ event.  Cheers. 

2 comments: