Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Polar Vortex has returned, and with it a Need for Warmer Memories

Frozen Nostril hairs.

Seriously, this is what I have to deal with as I walk the kids to the bus stop.  New Jersey is in a deep freeze, and even with the sunshine today, it truly feels like the polar vortex has returned and smacked the shit out of us. 

So without further ado, here are the rest of my favorite memories of warmer times....


#5  Beach Time




Myrtle beach, Daytona beach,  Flagler Beach, The Jersey Shore,  I don't care.  I am not a huge fan of  sand in my crack, but I do love the ocean.  I am more of a lake girl myself than a beach girl, but I love taking the kids to the beach now and again and watch them come close to drowning in the waves.   It's a family tradition.


#4  Fun times at the Bronx Zoo

 
One of the first fun things we did last year in the warmer weather was take a late spring trip to the Bronx Zoo on a Wednesday while the kids were off from school.   If you live within driving distance, you have to hit the Bronx Zoo at least once in your life, and plan to spend the entire day there exploring.   Wear comfortable clothing and bring water bottles, because it is a trek!   The dinosaur park is also fantastic, and on Wednesdays you can get an all day pass to do all the "extra" fun things in the park, like the Butterfly house, trams, and Dino experience.  Do not verbally assault the tram driver like my friend Vicki did though.   They frown on becoming violent with the employees. For more information about my favorite zoo, the Bronx Zoo, click Here.
 
# 3  Good times on the Soccer Field
 
 
 
I love watching Sagan play soccer.   He is working so hard to maintain his cool while playing and really getting in there.  He may never be a soccer star, but to our family we know he all ready is, because he has to work twice as hard as the other kids to maintain his behaviors while playing, passing, sharing, and listening to the ref and accepting his calls.  Don't ever take the small things for granted when you watch kids play soccer.  Some kids are working so much harder than others just to function out there.  It's so fun watching the little buggers play!  Sometimes we freeze on the soccer field, sometimes we roast, but it's ALWAYS warmer than it is right now.
 
#2 and #1 coming tomorrow!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment